What is an Infrared Sauna, and What are the Benefits?
If you have found your way to this page, you may already have an idea of what a sauna is. It is basically a sweat box. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? You may also know that saunas can be very relaxing. But did you know there are different types of saunas? And did you know that relaxation is only one of many benefits to using a sauna? Well today is your lucky day, because today I will break it down for you.
Saunas have been around for centuries. During the Middle Ages saunas were found all over Europe. Their popularity died down in the 1500’s due to the syphilis outbreaks, except for in Finland. Those lucky devils were somewhat spared. Today, just about every Finnish home has a sauna.
When many people think of saunas, they picture a wooden room where the heat is emitted from hot rocks, and steam arises from pouring water over those hot rocks. Those are traditional steam saunas. Many gyms and spas are equipped with a Steam Sauna. It wasn’t until the 21st Century when Infrared Saunas became available for use.
An infrared sauna is a type of sauna that uses light to create heat. This type of sauna is sometimes called a far-infrared sauna — "far" describes where the infrared waves fall on the light spectrum. A traditional sauna uses heat to warm the air, which in turn warms your body. An infrared sauna heats your body directly without warming the air around you. This makes infrared saunas safe for adults of all ages, as well as children and even animals! (Although, please check with your doctor first.)
Now that you have the basics of what this magical sweat box is, allow me to share with you some of the benefits.
- SWEAT OUT TOXINS- Studies that 15-20% of infrared sauna-induced sweat is composed of cholesterol, fat-soluble toxins, heavy metals, sulfuric acid, and ammonia (as well as sodium and uric acid.) In other words, an infrared sauna may enable your body to eliminate environmental toxins through sweat. Your kidneys will thank you.
- REDUCES BLOOD PRESSURE AND IMPROVES CARDIOVASCULAR FUNCTION- Studies have shown that infrared sauna therapy significantly lowers both systolic and diastolic blood pressurewith regular use. Use can reduce your risk of sudden cardiac death, fatal coronary heart disease, and fatal cardiovascular disease. Your heart will thank you.
- PAIN RELIEF- Infrared heat penetrates tissue, joints, and muscle to relieve anything from minor aches and pains to chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia and arthritis. Some chronic pain sufferers have claimed that use of an infrared sauna has almost completely eliminated their pain!
- WOUND HEALING- Infrared sauna therapy has the ability to speed up the wound healing process by promoting faster cell regeneration and tissue growth.
- IMPROVED SKIN TONE- Studies show that infrared sauna use can improve skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Far infrared saunas stimulate blood circulation in your skin, which helps boost your skin’s ability to produce collagen. Sweating accelerate your skin’s ability to detox traces of dirt, makeup, pollution, heavy metals, and alcohol. Finally, infrared heat relaxes tense facial muscles, keeping that dazzling smile.
- WEIGHT LOSS- (yes, weight loss) - Studies show that by sitting and relaxing in an infrared sauna for a 30 minute session, you can burn anywhere from 300 to 600 (or more) calories. The reason? As your body works to cool itself, there is a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output, and metabolic rate. This causes the body to burn more calories!
- RELAXATION- Infrared saunas help relax you and make you more resilient to stress. Infrared heat is a gentle, soothing, and therapeutic heat that improves relaxation and promotes a better sleep.
Now that you’re all caught up, aren’t you ready to take the plunge? Let Planet Sauna help you decide which sauna is best for you.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Dynamic Saunas, Golden Designs Inc, Health News, Infrared Sauna, Maxxus Saunas, Planet Sauna, Product information, Sauna